Search Me!

Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Six Big Things I've Learned So Far

  1. Drinking lots of water, every day, is hard.
  2.  I feel better when I eat lots of vegetables and fruit, and don't eat wheat, dairy (the cow's milk kind), sugar, and lots of carbs (including grains).
  3. Never, ever do you lose weight in the way you want, much less where you want.
  4. I am allergic to peanuts (not in the anaphylactic shock kinda way, just the itchy-face-throat-and-head way), and I did not know that. (Maybe soy, too. Jeez.)
  5.  Beet juice is very, very good. Beet juice stains, not so much.
  6. I mourn the loss of some foods, the feelings they gave (or took away). Even the lost   potential solace they might provide, I mourn. A strange and curious sorrow.

4 comments:

  1. 3 or 4 years ago a chiropractor recommended drinking 2 cups of water first thing when I woke up. I definitely noticed that I felt better as a result. By now I don’t specifically notice what the improvement is, since I’ve been doing it for so long. But it’s one of those habits I found easy to maintain. It does get in 2 cups of water towards whatever your daily goal is, and at a time of day when hydration is apt to be low. She also recommened waiting 20 minutes before eating, so I put the water and a straw in a glass bottle by my bedside at night and drink it in bed in the morning. I guess it’s kind of a ritual.

    When I get hungry during the day and it’s not time to eat yet, I drink herb tea with soymilk. It definitely makes it easier to wait. That same chiropractor objected to any liquids other than pure water, but you have to go with what works for you. Glad to hear how well you’re doing. Lots of learning. That’s always great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to start the day with about 2 cups of water--some days its a nobrainer, other days...
    And it is also interesting the wide range of opinions about water intake and types of foods to eat. I read one site (about raw food) where the author said the right food gives us enough water, and we shouldn't drink very much. I do much better all around with a lot of water. As you said, "you have to go with what works for you."
    And there has been "lots of learning." I am learning so many things about my body that I just didn't know. It's as if as more falls away, more is revealed.
    And thank you so for your support. It means a lot to me.
    A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, there’s a misunderstanding about the liquid in food and the 8-glasses-a-day mantra that goes back to the 1940s. I wrote something on this a few years ago (http://bit.ly/rcuGqs).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That is a trip. I (and I guess millions of Americans) never knew that. Thank for that info.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! I want to know what you think...