Search Me!

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

An "Uh Oh" Moment--or Two

Gosh, there is so much to learn about my body and this food thingy. I feel like I'm in a foreign land, don't speak the language, and am missing a map. Must be (kinda) like bringing your first baby home from the hospital (before reading a baby care book).
Today I almost passed out.

 I'd gone for a walk (before eating, as I wasn't hungry), came home, and eaten some cantaloupe. All the food combining stuff that I've read cautions against eating it with anything else (even other fruit. Cool. And I still wasn't hungry.
Then, about 90 minutes later, I begin to feel weak. I'd cooked up some kale, onion, and a smidge of sustainably raised bacon bits last night, some I had about  1-1/2 cups of that. My stomach filled immediately, but I was still dragging. I thought I'd wait to see if I felt better after digesting, so I waited about 1/2 an hour. Still draggy.
I ate some more, and made sure to get some of the bacon bits. Still very draggy, and really, really wanting carbs. And I was feeling lightheaded.

Now, I've been off of most grain carbs for a few days, I thought, "you could toast a slice of rice bread" (which I still have in the house). Then I remembered I had some hummus, so I ate about 1/3rd cup of that.
Well, my stomach ballooned up for a bit (seriously), but I started to feel less light-headed and weak.
This is how it felt, trust me.

I'm much better now, tho my stomach is still puffed up. I don't know what this means. The hummus isn't organic, that might be it...I don't know.
I'd hate to think I had to choose between lightheadedness and a non grain-based carb. And clearly I need to some work in identifying hunger.



2 comments:

  1. I’ve read that about cantaloupe too. Hummus = chick peas = beans = bloating. They may not look like beans by the time they’re hummus, but it does the same thing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I've never gotten bloated from beans, AFAIK. However, I think I've spent a good part life bloated, etc., and just didn't know it...

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! I want to know what you think...